Do you ever think to yourself can you build a second house on your land after looking at an empty backyard? It is a prime real estate opportunity for constructing secondary accommodation on your existing lot in addition to the primary residence.
A second home on your land has different names and rules. Moreover, it also matters if the zone is residential or commercial. Here are some things to know before you proceed.
Second house: Residential Zone
Can you build a second house on your land and rent it? Yes, you can. Minor second dwellings are built in the same location as the main house. The structure does not need resource consent if the primary building complies with the latest standards.
Minor houses are an allowed activity according to the District Plan. If the second home complies with rules and construction, you no longer need to submit a resource consent. However, the second dwelling must meet all the landing zone requirements, such as plumbing and soundproofing.
Rules for Second Homes
Before you think can you build a second house on your land, here are some things to know
- The second dwelling is dependent on having a main dwelling on the same land.
- The second must not be bigger than eighty square meters
- The second home must have an outdoor, accessible, private area of thirty meters square. It must be sufficient to house a circle of four meters in diameter. Moreover, the second home must have a direct pathway to the main building. The owner can construct the second in the east, north, and west of the primary unit.
- The owner must meet the zoning requirements for the second home.
- They must factor in acoustic and sound requirements if the house lives in a noisy region. For example, near a busy road or airport.
Second house: Rural region, dependent living
Can you build a second house on your land in a rural area? The answer depends on the land area, which must be more than 20 hectares. An area of less than 20 hectares will not support a second home. However, you can build a secondary unit.
These are excellent for aging parents, grandparents, relatives, and ailing individuals. However, a dependent house requires resource concerns under the district plans.
Rules for dependent homes
- The dependent home must be built with a primary home on the same land.
- The dependent dwelling must be bigger than a hundred square meters.
- If the dependent home is not hosting anyone, it must be removed or added to the primary home within six months. You can remove the kitchen appliances to integrate the dwelling into the main home.
- The individual must comply with location and zoning laws
- Lastly, the owner must pay close attention to acoustics and insulation if living in a noisy region.
Consult with Forde Brothers
Forde Brothers has years of experience in dealing with properties. They move, sell, and buy homes that meet the client’s requirements. Moreover, Forde Brothers also offers architect and surveyor services. The company will move houses for you too. You can discuss matters over the phone and see if the services match the budget.
You can contact the customer support team for questions, information, and concerns. Fore Brothers does not believe in surprises and mistakes. Don’t forget to ask the team can you build a second house on your land.